Summertime

So this blog was keeping track of my plans to hike the AT. Well those have been postponed until about August but until then I thought I'd develop this blog into a little more about me.

This summer I'm spending time in Athens. I'm still looking for a job and hoping one will work out soon. Right now I'm still class checking and it gives me the opportunity to bike to campus in the morning and get a nice little work out in. I love it. My biking has improved and I finally made it up the *%#@! hill that me and my roommates talk about. It's a pretty steep incline and I've made it up there two days in a row! Exciting!

This morning I had to return two books to the library so I was driving around campus marveling at Athens in the summer. Someone once said that there's something right about Athens in the summer and I would definitely have to agree. There is something right about it. It's so vulnerable and being repaired and healed from a brutal year of students running it ragged. The workers were taking down dead trees and the grass on Myers was actually grass and not dirt. The campus was allowed to just be and not trampled and abused. As for the roads, jaywalking is as easy as 1,2,3 and the stillness of the campus soothed me. No one was in a hurry and instead the lazy days of summer are upon us.

You can actually find a parking spot downtown which blows my mind and traffic seems to be a thing of the past. It's amazing being in a city that just dies like that for almost three months and then springs back to life. On Myers I was imagining the parents walking on this quad almost three months from now leaving their child at college and they will want to see a well manicured quad which is exactly what UGA will be ready to offer come August because of the tlc it received over the summer.

It's hard to believe that I'll be here all summer. Just taking it all in. It makes me feel like I'm just starting at school again because summer is so new. It's like I'm somewhere else entirely. Summer is not an extension of the school year but a new place and city to be explored and conquered.

Just yesterday I walked down to Memorial Park and sat by the creek there listening to my iPod and so thankful that the quiet of this town allowed me to be there just relaxed and loving every minute of it. The rain then came upon me in a flash and I was immediately soaked but I loved it. The freedom I had to walk wherever I wanted and do whatever I wanted overwhelmed me. I knew that was what summer was supposed to be. The hot summer rain washing over me and a cleansing feeling about the summer and knowing that I loved it. All of it.

Athens in the summertime... how great

No Response to "Summertime"

Post a Comment

Recently Read

Recently Read